Why poker might be a sport...
- It airs often on ESPN, ESPN2 and other sports-centric channels.
- It is a competition.
- It is important to be in good condition to play poker well. (i.e. eating well/getting enough sleep.)
- There is a (small) movement working towards making poker an Olympic event.
- It has set rules of play.
- The best players are offered endorsements.
Why poker might just be a game...
- It is not athletic.
- Luck is a contributing factor to winning.
- It is often aired on Bravo and other non-sports centric channels.
A few other thoughts: I believe luck is a contributing factor to many sports. Bowling and golf are much less athletic than football or hockey, does that make those less of a sport? A golfer is more of a sportsman than an athlete. Are poker players sportsmen? Does a driver of a NASCAR need any athletic ability?
What do you think? Post in the comments your opinions and I'll update this post as we come to a decision.